Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Top Ten Book Quotes



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, everyone is welcome to join in on the fun!

This week's Top Ten:
What are your favourite book quotes?

I love quotes from books, but I have a hard time putting which one is my absolute favourite first, so this will be in no particular order:

1. "I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.."
— Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook)

I love the Notebook and this always remembers me of the neverending love Noah has for Ally and that true love really exists.

2. "To live would be an awfully big adventure."
- Peter Pan

Peter Pan is one of my favourite characters and stories and I've heard him say this in the movie too many times to count.

3. "When you play a game of thrones, you win or you die."
- George R.R. Martin (A Game of Thrones)

This statement truly encompasses the hard society that Martin shows us in this wonderful start of his epic fantasy series.

4. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."
- J.K. Rowling (The Prisoner of Azkaban)

How I love Harry Potter and the Marauder's Map. This just gives off such a mischievous air.

5. "If you have never spent whole afternoons with burning ears and rumpled hair, forgetting the world around you over a book, forgetting cold and hunger--

If you have never read secretly under the bedclothes with a flashlight, because your father or mother or some other well-meaning person has switched off the lamp on the plausible ground that it was time to sleep because you had to get up so early--

If you have never wept bitter tears because a wonderful story has come to an end and you must take your leave of the characters with whom you have shared so many adventures, whom you have loved and admired, for whom you have hoped and feared, and without whose company life seems empty and meaningless--

If such things have not been part of your own experience, you probably won't understand what Bastian did next."

— Michael Ende (The Neverending Story)

So this is a long quote, but it's one that made me feel more normal when I was a kid and already knew I read way more than others in my class. This describes my passion for reading perfectly.

6. "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being, with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you."
— Charlotte Brontë (Jane Eyre)

That's my girl! A strong woman who knows her own mind.

7. "You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."
- Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

I won't start ranting about Pride and Prejudice yet again, but this passage always sends shivers up my spine. I think I would faint in delight if someone ever said this to me.

8. "Every book has a soul, the soul of the person who wrote it and the soul of those who read it and dream about it."
— Carlos Ruiz Zafón (The Angel's Game)

I believe this to be true.

9. "A good story is always more dazzling than a broken piece of truth."
— Diane Setterfield (The Thirteenth Tale)

I love books about books and this line just seems appropriate.

10. "You love me. Real, or not real?"
I tell him, "Real."

- Suzanne Collins (Mockingjay)

I can't really say anything about this one without having major spoilers, but I love this quote.


So that's my list. I could have gone on and on with quotes from Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and all those other books I love, but I decided to keep it to one a book.
What are your favourite quotes?

19 comments:

  1. Haven't read any of these, but there are some good lines here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of favorite quotes from The Thirteenth Tale. Such a good book.

    I too could have made a list with just Harry Potter or Pride & Prejudice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I started keeping track of my quotes after all the times I've read Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion...else I fear all of mine would have come from those alone. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the P&P and Thirteenth Tale quotes! Still need to read Jane Eyre! Ah, and I do love Peter Pan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quote!

    A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point. That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great collection of quotes. I particularly love the one from Angel's Game. I must move that further up the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked a quote from Jane Eyre as well! Also that Mockingjay quote is so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also kept it to one a book which is hard. I love your quote choices! Some of these books, I'm going to have to read now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quotes! Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-ten-tuesday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quotes! I love reading all of these.

    My quotes are here: www.readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED the quote from Mockingjay! Loved that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quotes! I love the Harry Potter one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of The Neverending Story, but the quote from it is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the Mockingjay quote! And the Harry Potter quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Michael Ende quote made me tear up.

    I'll share one of mine:

    "I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned into mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will happen in my life time." - Jonah Griggs (Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Daisy these quotes are so so beautiful!! I love them all :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love finding quotes in books. I write them down in a special leatherbound book when I get the chance:) Your top ten selection is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy your book quotes collection. Thanks for sharing like this post.

    ReplyDelete